Thursday, September 3, 2009

Introductions

I have stumbled upon a number of educational blog posts in which teachers describe their activities for the beginning of the year.

I would like to share some of the ideas I have planned.

I will be teaching four secondary subjects: English, History, Geography, and Music.

The first order of business is to make sure that every student has an email account.  Next, the students will need to create a “portfolio” blog for each of the subjects.  These student blogs will be linked to a central class blog.

Now, to populate the blogs with content.

In each class, we will begin with an “Introduce Yourself” unit.  (Or, as they are now yclept in Quebec, “Learning Evaluation Situation.”)  My LES is based loosely on an LES available on the QuebecLearn website, entitled, “What Makes You Who You Are?”

I will have the students take photographs of themselves.  Then, the students will add a caption to their photos, one sentence describing something unique about themselves, using the website Speechable.  Then, we will make a slideshow of the results.  There are many slideshow websites.  I think we will try Animoto, to begin with.

I think the devil will be in the details.  For example, for every site that we use, usually a sign-up is required.  I will ask students to keep a master list of usernames and passwords.

Another idea.  I like the concept of having students discuss and create their own classroom and school rules.  (Of course, their democracy is delimited by my executive prerogative.)  With this in mind, I will have the students contribute at least one classroom or school rule to a bulletin board at Wallwisher.  Again, with the sign-up and the linking to the individual blogs.

Photo by MinaFresh/Amanda.

0 comments:

Post a Comment