Sunday, May 3, 2009

Daily Routine

Sometimes the prospect of teaching makes me feel anxious.

Sometimes I feel like I am expected to entertain these kids for 4+ hours, and I don't know what to do.

Sometimes I run out of activities; sometimes the kids get bored. Sometimes, I keep looking at the clock.

The solution to this problem, like the solution to many problems, is to be well prepared.

If I, as a teacher, had to invent 4 hours of activities every day, then of course, I would become overwhelmed. It's an impossible task.

The solution to this problem is to have a daily routine. A template. Do not try to re-invent the wheel every day.

Here is a daily routine I prepared for my 5-6 English class:

Period 0

Write schedule on board

Prepare worksheets and materials

Period 1

Writing: Journal / Blog entry

Reading comprehension

Period 2

Silent readingReading Record

Math Test

Math Lesson

Period 3

Grammar Test

Grammar Lesson

The Writing Process

Science/Socials

Game

Period 4

Spelling / Vocabulary

Story-Telling

Speaking

Listening

Math Basics Drills

Period 5

Art

Puzzle

0 comments:

Post a Comment