Monday, April 13, 2009

Honesty

Here is a post on the blog, They Call Me Teacher, written by a teacher in New York.

The tone of the post is negative and frustrated. The author describes unmotivated students, unprofessional colleagues, and a chaotic school.

I like to read posts such as this one. It is honest.

It encourages me, and lends me strength, as a teacher, to be reminded that there are teachers who share the same frustrations that I sometimes feel.

I perceive this support to be one of the benefits of networking and sharing.

I feel ambivalent towards writing a blog. On the one hand, I perceive many benefits. On the other hand, as a characteristically introverted person, I am hesitant to reveal myself.

Although I share some of the aforementioned author's sentiments, I am reluctant to express them publicly myself. I do not want to reveal my cynical, exasperated, frustrated moments. A teacher is supposed to be optimistic and positive at all times, no?

I do not want to reveal any flaws in my personality. I do not want to expose any weaknesses. The image I want to portray is that of a perfectly happy person.

However. If I expect my students to write, then I should write. If I expect my students to be willing to make mistakes and reveal their foibles, then I should be willing to make mistakes and reveal mine. One motive and purpose of writing is self-discovery, which, in turn, should lead to self-improvement. They say, the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that there is a problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment