Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday


Today is Sunday.

My wife and daughter are out of town. I stayed home with my son.

It was a very lazy, do nothing, surf the internet kind of day.

It was good to have a day like this to re-charge my batteries.

I spent a few hours trying to understand twitter.

It is nice to have a day with nothing to do. I should do it more often.

A teacher's life is so full of deadlines and tasks. My stream of consciousness is a constant litany of to-do's.

They say, a teacher teaches, always. When I am away from the classroom, my mind is still in the classroom. I would suggest that it is good to get away from teaching, mentally.

In fact, one of my character weaknesses, I think, is that I am not inclined to pay attention to the present. As Yoda quipped of Luke Skywalker:

This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph.

By the same token, I should devote my mind entirely to my students when I am in the classroom. I read a blog post recently about a teacher who devotes herself 100% to her students when she is in the classroom. I think this is a good policy. Sometimes, when I am teaching, I have a tendency to day-dream about my personal life and my personal problems. That's not fair to my students.

Photo by Chris Devers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment